Request an Item
The Montgomery College Library offers multiple ways to get an item that is not available at your local campus library or in our collections.
- Intercampus Loan: Use this option to have an item from another MC Library location sent to the library location that is most convenient to you.
- Interlibrary Loan: Use this option if we do not own an item but you'd like to request that we borrow that item for you from another institution.
- Request a Purchase: Use this option if you'd like the library to purchase an item we do not own
An intercampus loan request sends an item from one MC Library location to another for your convenience. E.g., if you are a student at the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus and need a book that is only owned by the Germantown Campus library, you can submit an intercampus loan request to have that item sent to the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus library for you.
- Log in to the MC Library Catalog.
- Search for your item and click on the item you'd like to request (the item must be currently available to be checked out).
- Click on "Make a Request" in the box on the right side of the screen.
- Select "Intercampus Loan Request Form."
- Complete and submit the form, making sure to select the location where you would like to pick up the item.
You item may take up to four business days to arrive.
NOTE: The Interlibrary Loan department will be closed July 15 - July 19, 2019. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Items that the MC Library does not own can be borrowed through ILL. ILL requests are submitted through a system called ILLiad. First-time users will be prompted to register before making a request. Once you log in to ILLiad, you may:
- place a request,
- check the status of a request,
- check a due date,
- download a PDF of a borrowed article, or
- request a renewal.
The library we borrowed your ILL item from will determine the loan period and renewal policy. Most loans are for three to four weeks.
The borrower can request an renewal through their ILLiad account before the item is due to ask for more time with the item.
All ILL items are subject to recall by the lending library. Borrowers are required to return recalled items immediately and are responsible for fines the lending library charges for lost or overdue items.
Yes. The following items cannot be borrowed through ILL:
- Titles held by the Montgomery College Library, either in print or available electronically (check the MC Library Catalog). This includes items that are checked out, missing from the shelf, or placed on reserve.
- Entire issues of periodicals.
- More than five articles from the same periodical.
- Copies of periodical articles owned by any of the three library locations, unless the issue has been declared missing.
- Most reference materials.
- Current editions of textbooks used for classes.
Information for Lending Libraries
Representatives from lending libraries should visit our ILL Lending Guidelines page.
To request that an item be added to the MC Library's collection, fill out our Request a Purchase form.